Thursday, August 20, 2009

Adopt a Soldier

So my coworker Wanette is just awesome and I love her because she has such a big loving heart. For several years she has belonged to organizations that match you up with families living in rural poverty or soldiers and she sends them care packages full of goodies. She has kept in touch with some of the recipients for like 20 years! The organizations are boxproject.org and anysoldier.com

She was telling me about one of her soldiers yesterday and how in general they feel forgotten about so I decided to find a soldier to send a care package to. At anysoldier.com there is a list of soldiers with general info about each one and things that they are in need of. They usually ask for things like deodorant and febreeze because they don't get to wash their clothes very often. Also snack foods and reading materials are requested or just anything that reminds them of home.

The soldier I picked is Darcela Tucker. Her unit is from Anchorage, Alaska and they are stationed in Afghanistan until May 2010. They are very low on supplies right now so anything is appreciated.

Steps to filling a box:
First, try to find things around the house that you don't use or have extra quantity of. I found tons of things around the house such as toothbrushes and toothpaste that we get from going to the dentist. Ihad mini shampoos and conditioners from hotels so I threw that in there too along with single serve tea bags, hot chocolate and crystal light.
Next, add things that will bring a smile to their face or that they can have fun with. I thought about magazines, playing cards and silly little toys but after I put these snack foods in the box it was completely full. I will have to save those other ideas for the next box. At Christmas time, Wanette will pack christmas decorations and small presents and wrap every item in the box.
Last, write a sweet note about how much you appreciate your soldiers sacrifice and be sure to tell them about yourself and hopefully they will write back. I got a flat rate box and I think its ~ $12 to ship no matter how heavy it is. I was so excited about this! Let me know if you want to make a box with me!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I also have an adopted soldier, a few actually. You'll enjoy it alot. I did mine through a different program where they give you their email address along with an address, so I heard from my soldiers within a few days. It was nice. So, I started this project called Stanley for Soldiers. I think you and your friend might enjoy it.
    Check it out
    http://sgtstanley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, welcome to the boxing club! You'll be addicted soon enough, lol.

    PS, tell Justin to come get his puppy. :-D

    ReplyDelete