Saturday, May 1, 2010

Gusher Marathon

The Gusher on May 1st was Beaumont's first Boston-qualifying marathon. Justin decided he wanted to run the half marathon - 13.1 miles - and started training in January. Our gym membership had ended in October so we were lazy bums for a few months but that didn't seem to hinder Justin. He ran his first run -about 3 miles- like it was nothing! A few weeks later he upped it to 6 miles, then he was running 8 miles and then 9 miles. A couple of weeks before the race he ran 11 miles but his right knee was really starting to hurt. His exact words were "this is going to be my first and LAST half marathon." We'll see about that.

The day of the Gusher was super humid and muggy. I was sweating and I wasn't even running! My mother-in-law, Prissy, came with me to cheer on Justin and some of our friends - Chris McDermand, Crystal McDermand, Garrett Syphrett, Kasey Fitch, Aaron Chinn, Jon Nuckolls, Charlie Buser, my coworker Starla Ricks and her husbandBrian, and Justin's coworker Derek McWilliams - everyone did so great!

Chris ran a really good time (not sure the exact time)


Justin & Derek headed toward the finish line. (Justin in the middle, Derek on the right) A complete stranger could tell Justin was struggling through the last mile and encouraged and pushed him through that mile.
Ok, so my picture-taking-skills are not so great when it comes to moving objects. He barely made it in the picture!

I'm exhausted!

I made him squeeze out a smile

Chris, Kasey, Garrett & Justin

Brian & Starla Ricks

Justin cramming his face after the race with Crystal's son Austin looking on in amazement (or maybe he is yawning who knows). They were giving out Jason's Deli, smoothies from Smoothie King, and even beer! There was live music and inflatable games for the kids.

Justin is feeling great, just dealing with sore knees. Congratulations to everyone who ran! Justin, I am so proud of you! I think you should do another race when it's not so hot and humid.

No comments:

Post a Comment