Thursday, December 24, 2009

NYC Trip Day 5

Thursday morning's temp was in the low 30's. We had a fancy breakfast at Daniela Trattoria. Then we walked to Central Park. There was a neat outdoor marketplace at the southern entrance to the Park where people were selling hand-made Christmas decorations, candy and hot chocolate. Central Park was very pretty even without leaves on the trees and no snow. It was also very a peaceful break from the city. Our favorite part was listening to Christmas music being played by the random saxophone players scattered throughout the park. It was so romantic!
The Metropolitan Museum of Art was right by Central Park so we went in and that place is huge! I am certainly not know for my appreciation of art but many of the sculptures and paintings were pretty impressive. There was art work from all over the world from French paintings to wooden carvings from Papua New Guinea.

Lunch at Serendipity was next on the list. I haven't seen the movie since I was in high school but I definitely remember the scene when they share the frozen hot chocolate. There was an hour wait to get in but it was worth it. The place was extravagantly decorated with colored lights and ornaments, silver and gold garlands and a bright pink Christmas tree! The frozen hot chocolate was everything I thought it would be! We bought packets of the mix to take home and I think I can try to make a copy-cat recipe.


Then we walked over to Bloomingdale's. I have never seen so humongous of a store in my life. Bloomingdale's is 9 stories high! The women's department covered like 3 floors! There is even a huge section where you can buy stuff for your pets. One of the floors had a chocolate store where they make these elaborate truffles by hand. One truffle is $6 so it better be good!

I wish that I had worn a pedometer this day so I could see how many miles we walked because I was convinced it was at least 20 miles haha. My legs were so tired so we took the subway sucessfully back to the hotel.

That night we saw the best Broadway show ever called In the Heights.
"In the Heights tells the universal story of a vibrant community in Manhattan's Washington Heights – a place where the coffee from the corner bodega is light and sweet, the windows are always open, and the breeze carries the rhythm of three generations of music. It's a community on the brink of change, full of hopes, dreams and pressures, where the biggest struggles can be deciding which traditions you take with you, and which ones you leave behind."

The singing and dancing was amazing and we were entertained every second of the show - I didn't want it to end!

No comments:

Post a Comment